Skip to main content

Meet Manel Roumaissa Benabid,Student at Lebanese American University

My name is Manel Roumaissa Benabid, I’m an 18 years old algerian currently studying in Lebanon. I’m a TechGirl 2018 alumni, I was born and raised in Algeria, I finished my studies this year with a baccalaureate degree of 2019. I’m a girl who likes to explore new ideas and aspects and who is never afraid to try new things and always eager for exciting experiences. A person who enjoys nature and working on ways on saving the environment using technology.



Why did you choose The Tomorrow's Leaders Program ?
MEPI TL stands for Middle East Partnership Initiative Tomorrow’s Leaders. The reason why I chose MEPI TL is because I found it the best opportunity that I could be offered, MEPI TL is for highschool graduates who are willing but unfortunately unprivileged to pursue studies in higher  universities, MEPI TL offers undergraduate and graduate studies in Lebanese American University (LAU), The American University of Beirut (AUB), and now in the American University in Cairo (AUC) as well.
Not just for studies but also a variety of workshops and internships and many other opportunities. When I found out and read about all what this scholarship is there to offer, I realized it was the perfect opportunity that one must not miss. I was always hoping to finish my studies abroad because my field of study was not that quite good back in my country, I had always high hopes of living the best university life, to experience the best out of it both academically and personally, and I’m afraid that might not be the case in my country, but here, here I knew it was going to be different, I knew it was for me to take, and I took it.

What do you study currently at Lebanese American University ?
I’m a LAU computer science student, once admitted to LAU -I’m speaking of Algerians-, you are automatically a freshman ( science, arts or business) student, in freshman year ( my case is freshman science), you take classes in basic maths, chemistry, biology, physics and english… And during sophomore year (second year), you start taking your major courses ( depending on the major, me for example: programming).

Could you tell us about the application process ?
Once the online application is submitted, an email to the selected ones (about 50 or so..) is sent, the ones who receive this email will take an ITP test, which is an english test, after that, some of these applicants are selected to take the TOEFL, (if an applicant has already taken TOEFL they’re not required to take it again), after the results of the TOEFL, around 10 (more or less) applicants are chosen to take an interview. Personally, the interview was the most stressful part of the whole application; I’m not saying it’s hard, just stressful.

What are your tips to 2020/2021 applicants?
My advice for 2020/2021 applicants is to take this application seriously, because MEPI TL scholarship is like no other scholarship out there, that’s first.
Second, I advise everyone to have confidence in themselves, never underestimate yourself, this scholarship might be for you (we regret chances that we don’t take more than the ones we do) I sent my application the last minute so never think it’s too late to apply, also be honest during the whole process for the interview, write your essays yourself, be honest in your essays, be honest in your interview, be you.
And the most important part I think for me is to prepare for the TOEFL, if you (hopefully) reach that part of the application, prepare for it, don’t neglect it. On top of that, all three universities offer a very high level of studies, so don’t just aim to go to a certain university, they’re the best universities in the Middle East and you’ll be lucky to get accepted to one of them.
At the end, I wish everyone the best of luck in their application. Hoping to see you next year.


If you hold Baccalaureate degree of 2019
Or you prepare to get Baccalaureate degree of 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Rania SAADI, the Algerian TechGirl 2019

Rania SAADI  City: Aïn Beïda, Oum El Bouaghi, Algeria Age: 17-year-old Level: Baccalaureate Student at Cheikh Lakhdar Boukeffa High School Interest: Artificial Neural Networks, Artificial Intelligence, Software Engineering, Advanced Algebra, Calculus, Nanotechnology and Neurology. Achievements: 2019 TechGrils participant in USA The Mathematic Olympiad Program participant, Addicted to online learning,she completed data analysis, android app development, python and web development courses on Udacity platform. Goals: Integrate technology into the daily life of her village by building a community engagement platform. Tell us about your learning experience in Verginia Tech   ? It was my first experience in a university class and what made it even more exciting is that it was also my first time attending coding classes. If I had to talk about my favorite part, I'd narrate every single session! The professors were very dedicated and extremely gener

Meet TechWomen Algeria 2019

We finally know the 2019 cohort who will represent Algeria in Techwomen program. As a warm and early welcome to our club,  Fatima Zohra BENHAMIDA , 2017 TechWomen Fellow organized a session of predeparture orientation to Algeria TechWomen 2019 .In collaboration with Nadia Ouhenia , Cultural Affairs Assistant, the session was hosted at US Embassy Algiers on July 2 nd , 2019.  As an alumna of TechWomen and a board member of TechWomen TechGirls Club , Fatima shared her experience with  the new emerging leaders   Imene Henni mansour , Sara DIB , Imane Chekirine and Celia Ouabas . Fatima provided different tips to the new participants in order to help them get prepared to TechWomen experience From September 28th to November 3rd, 2019. The discussion covered the core components of the program: Professional Mentorship, Impact Project, Cultural Kick off. In addition to some tricks about packaging and living in the bay area. We are thrilled to share with you their outstanding